Anthélia IPL Hair Removal FAQ’s
Is it safe?
Yes. The intense pulsed light of the Anthélia IPL is perfectly filtered from all UV rays. With its safe filters, only the hair is reached. The Anthélia meets all French and European standards and regulations and is TGA and CE certified.
Does it hurt?
No. The feeling of the treatment is extremely variable from person to person, but you may experience a sensation of prickling heat similar to a rubber band gently snapping against your skin in the targeted areas. Others report it as feeling like a warm stone being glided up and down the area of skin being treated. This sensation is very short, and each treatment is completed with the application of soothing lotion.
How does it work?
IPL or Intense Pulsed Light works by sending a concentrated beam of light onto the skin, which is absorbed by either the melanin in dark hair (the natural pigment in the hair which gives the hair its colour), or oxy haemoglobin in light hair (caused by waxing we will perform prior to treatment). This light is transformed into heat, targeting and causing the destruction of the hair follicles that are responsible for hair growth.
What does IPL treat?
The Anthélia IPL offers permanent hair reduction of all hair colours, even blonde, red, white and grey, on all parts of the body, including the back, neck, face, arms, stomach, bikini line, underarms, legs and Brazilian areas.
As well as targeting hair growth, the Anthélia IPL also works for skin rejuvenation, pigment spots and acne, red vein therapy, and signs of ageing.
Is there anything I should avoid before having IPL hair removal?
We discuss pre IPL protocols with you during your personal consultation, however as a general guide IPL treatment is not recommended if you:
- Have haemophilia, diabetes or epilepsy.
- Are taking an anti- coagulant or aspirin at high dosages.
- Have a pacemaker.
- Are pregnant.
- Have recently had a spray tan.
- Have been exposed to the sun 3 weeks prior to treatment.
How many sessions will I need?
The results vary from person to person according to the colour, texture, and location of hair growth. The Anthélia’s unique design allows for customised treatments according to your individual needs.
Because all IPL machines can only treat hair in the growth phase, and only 20% of hairs are in their growth phase at any one time, a series of treatments is required. The amount and frequency of these treatments will be advised to you in your consultation. You will see permanent hair reduction results after one session, and unwanted hair progressively disappears in about 6 – 10 sessions on average.
How long do treatment sessions normally take?
Treatment times depend on the area being treated, any hormonal imbalances, medication being taken, and your skin and hair colour. You will be advised during your consultation the time needed for your treatments.
What do I do after treatment?
In most cases, there are no visible effects. You may experience a slight redness and sensitised skin around the targeted areas. This usually only lasts a couple of hours. You can return to work the same day and resume most normal activities.
We recommend the following after-care protocols:
- Avoid hot showers and heavy workouts for 24 hours post treatment.
- If the area becomes dry or itchy, apply Vitamin E cream or soothing lotion with mango or aloe vera throughout the day, for at least two days after the treatment.
- Keep your skin well hydrated and moisturise daily.
- Pat dry after showering. Do not use a loofah on treated areas for at least one week after treatment.
- Pigmented lesions normally dry out, form a scab and fall off, so do not pick at or rub the treated areas.
- It is imperative that you wear sun-block on all treated areas when going outdoors during your IPL treatments.
- Avoid tanning booths and self-tanning lotions.
- Do not use Roaccutane, Retinol or Retin-A products whilst undergoing a course of treatments.
Where do I start?
Call us today to book your personal consultation session, to determine the ways that Anthélia IPL can best service your needs. We will advise you regarding your skin, hair type and colour and the amount of treatments required, as well as pre and post treatment protocols.