An all year round favourite… family and friends alike adore the fresh flavours of home-cooked curries so I am delighted to share this recipe with you (just in case you are feeling adventurous, relaxed and ready to feed your guests something memorable). For meat lovers, add fresh chicken pieces or prawns and cook through for a few minutes before the coconut milk goes in.
ingredients (serves 3-4)
2-3 tins of Bean Mix (washed and drained)
2 large onions
4-5 garlic pieces (or equivalent paste)
Half inch ginger piece (or equivalent paste)
2 large tomatoes
Oil for frying
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 pieces anise star
3/4 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp chilli powder (add more, to taste)
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp each ground coriander & garam masala
2 tsp sugar
Salt to taste
1 200ml can light coconut milk
1-2 cups of water
1. Finely grind or chop onions, ginger and garlic.
2. Heat oil and add cumin seeds and anise star.
3. Add onions and fry until browned.
4. Add finely chopped tomatoes, fry till soft and oil separates.
5. Add ground spices and turn the heat down.
6. Give it a mix and add your beans.
7. Add water and simmer for ten minutes.
8. Add coconut milk and simmer for 5-7 minutes.
9. Taste check to balance the flavours… if it seems a little bland, add a little salt and check again.
10. Now sprinkle with fresh coriander and serve with rice or breads to mop up all the juices. Enjoy!
♥ As always, I am just a call away to help you source ingredients if they’re not available where you live.